Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Still Prefer Reading "Real" Books

I know that all the new technologies are supposed to make our life easier and help us to be even more connected but...why does it seem to take me so long to learn these new things? I admit that I really want a MP3 player so I'm trying to complete the 13 things in the technology tapas program here at work. I just never seem to have time to do it and now it's almost too late! I'll be going away on vacation at the end of the week and I still have so much to learn!

In the time it's taken me to decide what RSS feeds I want to subscribe to, I could have read a few chapters of a book! Am I too old to get this quickly? I am now on Twitter and it is addictive but I still feel a little guilty for doing it and not something more "productive" - like reading the children's book I'm supposed to read to review for a professional journal or the car manual for my new(ish) car.

I guess I can justify the fact I've just subscribed to the NYT Book Review as a valuable use of learning how to subscribe to RSS feeds. I can't afford to get the print version, especially since it will soon be $5 for Sunday's paper, but now I can read it this way. It's not that I couldn't before but now I don't have to wade through all the news in the paper to get to that section. Since I now have a bunch of book review sources all in one place I can compare the reviews all at once.
Wish I'd had this when I was doing book ordering in the public library!

Now that I think about it, the time I save by having it all in the same place means I will have more time to read those "real" books too! Okay, I guess I've convinced myself that this really is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment