Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wiki Wiki (Didn't know it was Hawaiian)


I posted my blog on the Favorite Blogs page of the NJSL Technology Tapas wiki. It took me a few minutes because you do have to type in your URL and blog name exactly. It was fun "playing" by adding comments to other favorite pages.
Wikis don't seem to be that unique anymore but libraries still don't seem to be using them as much as they could be. Policies and procedures and strategic plans can be posted on wikis so they can be accessed by everyone in the library and easily updated as needed. I love the fact that Best Practices are being posted on wikis. Any programs that we want others to see and add their own ideas to should be available on a wiki. I would love to put the library winners of the Best Practices for Early Childhood Literacy programs on a wiki so libraries could add their own ideas to them. Everybody would benefit from the shared information. Booklists are also perfect for posting in wikis because titles can be deleted and added so easily. I also hope that the beautifully printed Guidelines for Young Adult Services in Public Libraries of New Jersey and the Guidelines for Children's Services in Public Libraries of New Jersey can be posted on a wiki. Since I'm having trouble converting them from a printed document to electronic text, it makes sense to retype them into a wiki so they can be easily revised as needed without costing so much to reprint them. I wouldn't have to do it all myself either, committee members could each do part of it at their leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment