Friday, May 15, 2009

Lucas

There are so many videos on YouTube, it's a bit overwhelming. I love the fact that you can find almost anything on it. But, you can also feel overwhelmed by all the stuff that's there too. I definitely think it's much easier to focus on the things I'm interested in, like music or books or dog rescue videos (that one where the dog rescues the other dog hit by a car - heartbreaking and heartwarming!). Since I'm a huge reader, I like to look at book reviews on YouTube. Many don't really say what the book is about and I like that. The viewer sees the images and is compelled to want to know more about them and then has to go read the book. Sharing books this way by creating book reviews online is perfect for libraries. I know lots of libraries have teens create videos of their favorite books. It would be a fun way for adult or teen book discussion groups to advertise the books they are reading. One of my favorite teen authors is British author Kevin Brooks. My favorite book by him is Lucas. I was lucky enough to get to review it for School Library Journal when it first came out a few years ago. I found this nicely done book review video on YouTube about Lucas. It even had a quote from the School Library Journal review that I did! It is a really lyrical and hauntingly unforgettable book. Read it for yourself and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment